Search This Blog

Monday, November 28, 2011

Teacher Talk: Kelsie Sheets



by Chelsey Moore
Four short years after attending Montezuma Community Schools, new teacher Kelsie Sheets returned for a new position as junior high special education teacher. 
She participated in football cheerleading, basketball, golf, FFA, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, color guard, yearbook, speech and drama, school plays, and choir while in high school. 
After she graduated from Montezuma Schools, she started attending college at Central College in Pella, Iowa. While there, Sheets studied elementary education, Spanish, reading and special education. In college she was involved with community choir, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, volunteer committee and football cheerleading.
Sheets realized she wanted to become a teacher in third grade.
She admits, “ I had the most amazing teacher, Ms. Danks. She made learning fun, and it sparked my interest. I wanted to make learning fun for other kids, and I had the perfect role model.”
Sheets student taught in a sixth grade special education setting in Pella and a fifth grade classroom in Oskaloosa, Iowa. 
“I came back to Montezuma to be close to my family. Monte had an open position that was my dream job, and I could get really involved here,” she said.
As basketball cheerleading coach, junior high basketball coach, and assistant color guard coach, Sheets keeps herself busy and involved in the school as she was in high school. 
Sheets said, “I was nervous coming back to my hometown, but I have enjoyed every bit of it! I couldn’t be happier where I am.” 
While there are many great things about her dream job, she enjoys the staff and students at Montezuma most.
Sheets said, “Knowing that I can come to work everyday and work with amazing people makes my job that much better.”
Next year she hopes to simply be more organized but is aware that organization will just come with time. 
Sheets said, “I have a lot of new ideas, but it will get take some development and planning to get to where I want to be.” 
In her free time, Sheets likes to spend time with family and friends. She also enjoys drawing and anything to do with music. Also, she is currently trying to learn how to play the guitar.

No comments: