Search This Blog

Monday, December 5, 2011

Teacher Talk: Clayton Hjelmeland



by Chelsey Moore
New teacher Clayton Hjelmeland began teaching at Montezuma Schools at the beginning of the year. Before he started living in Montezuma, he was living in Harmony, Minnesota, where he attended Filmore Central High School. Hjemeland was involved in football, basketball, golf and choir. After graduating in 2007, he started going to college at Northwestern in Orange City, Iowa. 
In college, Hjelmeland was involved in all types of intramural sports. He was a resident assistant so he was very active in his dorm. He also served as a student school ambassador. 
When he was there he studied elementary education and also got endorsements in reading, coaching, and middle school.Hjelmeland student taught last winter at MOC-FV Middle School in Alton, Iowa. 
Hjemeland said, “I’ve experienced first hand the impact a teacher can have on a student, both positively and negatively. I’ve just always wanted to be the type of teacher that has a positive, lasting impact on my students. That’s what made me decide to become a teacher.”
When looking for a junior high math teacher position,  Montezuma seemed to be a perfect fit. It was just the type of small town in Iowa he was looking for.
Hjelmeland said, “With it being my first year, it’s been pretty busy. Overall, I’ve liked it pretty well and think I’ll like it even better once things slow down a bit.”
He enjoys many aspects of our school, but has been most impressed with the administration.
Hjelmeland said, “I feel very fortunate to be working in a place that has quality people in these leadership roles.”
He said, “In my first year I’m doing as much learning, if not more, than my students. I’ll be making a lot of adjustments in my instructional strategies and classroom management policies.”
In his free time, Hjemeland enjoys just spending time with his wife and following his favorite teams and playing sports when possible.

No comments: