Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The benefits of reading


by Andrea Farrington
Statistics say that the top reason people read is for recreation, but how exactly is reading fun?  If you really think about it, you improve your vocabulary, and it gives you a small insight into other cultures and places around the world. 
In order to accomplish these things, we have to have good comprehension and be able to focus on what we’re reading. 
What is  reading comprehension? It is the ability to understand what we are reading. 
If we can’t comprehend what we are reading, why read? I ask myself this question everyday.
Growing up I remember being assigned a small passage. The next day at school we would discuss it and I would just sit there confused. I read the passages; I just had trouble remembering what it is that I read.
My teachers would occasionally ask me to explain what happened and I always was embarrassed because I couldn’t remember. 
If you have this problem, you aren’t alone. Reading comprehension is found in 85% of children and teens alone.
Dealing with reading comprehension issues for the majority of my life I have discovered some solutions; read out loud, summarize after small passages to make sure you understand it or take notes.
Reading comprehension is not something you can just ignore, it can rule your life if you let it. Take a stand and find a way that helps you!

No comments: